Monday, October 22, 2007

Friday Night Fun.


On Friday night our church had their Ladies Retreat: "What Could Be Better Than Chocolate?". I have to say, I have never had more fun! (Okay, well, I have had more fun, but that was the most fun I've had in a really really long time.) If you know me, you know that I typically shy away from anything that involves lots of women and retreating. Or really, anything women's ministry like. I'm a bit shy, and really rely (in a not so healthy way...I know, I know) on my husband to make and sustain any and all conversations (What? He's good at talking...). So the very idea of being alone with women for a night with no children or husband as my buffer zone had me a bit nervous.

I was nervous about nothing. It was an amazing time! I got to know the women of our church better, I got to relax, and just for one night, forget about any issues going on in my life. (I'd also like to say that I finally got to sleep a whole night through, but that wouldn't be true. Going to bed at 3:30 and waking up at 7 does not a whole nights sleep make...) Honestly, it was the first chance I've had in a really long time to just be myself...and witness other ladies in our church do the same! I saw women let go of that whole Christian-y facade, and get real. We shared deep things, laughed a lot, and found true friends in each other. (Chocolate covered girlfriends...I still can't help but laugh when I say that. I know my table was distracting during the seminars. I am sorry. Truly. I really am. However, when someone tells you dig deep into your layer cake of friendship and find your chocolate covered girlfriend, how do you not laugh? When they make you hold hands and promise chocolate-y themed promises while looking into each others eyes, how do you not laugh?? No really. I'd like to know. Because I failed to master that this weekend.) I know that we somewhat broke the mold of what a womens retreat usually is and how the ladies should act on one. I know some people aren't crazy about that. But you know what? Nothing we did was out of line...in all things we had a good heart and a genuine desire to find new and strengthen old friendships. And it happened. I just think we all go about doing that in many different ways. This weekend, what we did worked for us! I've made at least one very good new friend. A person that I know will be in my life from here on out (And I'm praying for that hot husband and dance room for you, my breast friend. Seriously. I really am!). I've strengthened at least two other relationships and am so glad I had the chance to do that!

God answered a deep prayer for my life this weekend. I've been begging Him (Seriously. Pleading with Him.) for close girlfriends (I have some close friends here, but we've never really had the chance to strengthen and deepen those relationships). I've been asking Him for friends that I felt like I could be myself around, friends who would love me and support me and expect the same from me for them. He gave me that this weekend! So was it all worth it? Yup.

It was better than chocolate.

(Ha! I know! I just couldn't help it...)

3 comments:

Dawniev said...

You're a beautiful person who gives so much... I am glad to hear you were on the receiving end for once.

Sarah said...

Yeah whatever!! You still like me even better than all the rest and admit it; I'm glad you're making new friends at your church but I still get to be your coolest one ever!! Ever!!! Jokes aside; female friendship (true friendship) is so hard to find; I'm happy for you.

Jenn said...

I'm so glad your night went so well. Its hard to come by true friends so its exciting to hear that you have!