Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Old Friends.

I realized yesterday that not much changes in eight years. You know, except for moves, marriages, babies, college degrees and boyfriends...

I got together with some friends from high school down in Philly (Well. Jackie met me at my house and we had a wonderfully adventurous drive to Sasha's super classy apartment complex. You should know that Jackie and I are not good together in a car. Never have been. That girl and I could get lost in our driveways. However, we made to the big city, and back out! I did almost kill us a few times, though. I'm not the most, um, attentive driver when talking. I really shouldn't drive and talk. Really.). I was nervous about seeing these girls again. They knew the 17 year old me very well, but not the 26 year old me. Not the mommy me. The married me.

Turns out, I had nothing to be worried about! We hugged and talked like old times. We laughed at old jokes, and had a great time reminiscing about how, um, "cool" we were (Yeah. We were band geeks. Never in my life have I wanted a scanner more. I would totally share with you all the band, bad hair and acne-filled pictures of my youth. Bummer.). We sat in Sash's sunny Philly apartment (A block from Independence Hall. There is some jealously for the city life she leads. I'm not sure I could do it, but it all seems so, I don't know, glamorous to the this stay at home mom...) and played with my kids. We walked around and went to some parks so Rory could run (That child needs to run. Everyday. We go outside every single day just so she can do that. Run Rory! Run.), and we ate HUGE sandwiches at a deli.

Honestly, I've never missed these girls more. I know I was with them, but still. We've taken different paths through life (Sasha teaches High School math in the city, Jackie works and goes to school, I sit home with my kids. And Siobhan. We missed you Siobhan! She's off in Wisconsin being a mommy to a beautiful new baby girl.), I think of them often, and send Christmas cards and the random Update Email. But this was different. As I sat on a park bench with two people who once knew me better than I knew myself, I missed them. I missed the old days. I missed the connection that comes with openness and youth. And yet, at the same time, I was so happy with the way things are. I'm proud to call these women my friends. I'm excited to see what life has in store for them. And I know, should I ever need to, I can call on those three for anything.

Being friends with Sasha, Siobhan and Jackie? I'm so grateful I have that privilege.

-Flippy...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Alright, time for a new post; I need an update already